St. Louis, Mo., April 11, 2015 – The No. 11-ranked Washington University in St. Louis women's tennis teams extended its win streak to nine straight matches with wins over No. 15 University of Chicago and No. 28 University of Wisconsin-Whitewater Saturday.
WashU swept doubles against Chicago before singles wins by sophomore Rebecca Ho (No. 1), senior Hanna Newstadt (No. 5) and sophomore Kaylan Griffith (No. 6) sealed a 6-3 win for the Bears in their first match of the day at the Dwight Davis Tennis Center. The Bears then earned a 9-0 sweep over UW-Whitewater at the Tao Tennis Center to improve to 15-4 on the season. Chicago dropped to 8-9, while UW-Whitewater fell to 18-3.
Match-by-Match Results vs. No. 15 Chicago:
1. Rebecca Ho/Jamie Silverberg (WASHU) def. Ariana Iranpour/Megan Tang (UC) 8-6
2. Grace Deering/Hanna Newstadt (WASHU) def. Tiffany Chen/Courtney Warren (UC) 8-4
3. Aly Coran/Kaylan Griffith (WASHU) def. Sruthi Ramaswami/Maggie Schumann (UC) 8-5
1. Rebecca Ho (WASHU) def. Ariana Iranpour (UC) 2-6, 6-3, 6-2
2. Megan Tang (UC) def. Jamie Silverberg (WASHU) 6-4, 6-0
3. Jasmine Lee (UC) def. Aly Coran (WASHU) 6-2, 4-7, 6-2
4. Tiffany Chen (UC) def. Grace Deering (WASHU) 6-4, 6-2
5. Hanna Newstadt (WASHU) def. Sruthi Ramaswami (UC) 7-5, 6-3
6. Kaylan Griffith (WASHU) def. Stephanie Lee (UC) 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
Match-by-Match Results vs. No. 28 UW-Whitewater:
1. Rebecca Ho/Jamie Silverberg (WASHU) def. Megan Humphreys/Bridgid McGuire (UWW) 8-5
2. Grace Deering/Hanna Newstadt (WASHU) def. Alicia Beck/Jillian Wallace (UWW) 8-5
3. Aly Coran/Kaylan Griffith (WASHU) def. Rachel Siemon/Alexandra Talyansky (UWW) 8-3
1. Rebecca Ho (WASHU) def. Megan Humphreys (UWW) 6-3, 6-1
2. Jamie Silverberg (WASHU) def. Bridgid McGuire (UWW) 6-3, 6-4
3. Aly Coran (WASHU) def. Alexandra Talyansky (UWW) 7-5, 6-1
4. Grace Deering (WASHU) def. Jillian Wallace (UWW) 6-0, 6-3
5. Hanna Newstadt (WASHU) def. Amanda Dick (UWW) 6-3, 6-0
6. Kaylan Griffith (WASHU) def. Alicia Beck (UWW) 6-0, 6-1
• The Bears reached 15 victories for the seventh time under 10th-year head coach Kelly Stahlhuth, and the fifth year in a row.
• WashU is 9-4 against ranked opponents this season, including six straight wins.
• The Bears have swept doubles in 12 matches this season, including seven times in their current nine-match win streak.
• WashU improved to 2-1 against Chicago this season with the win. The Maroons won the teams' first meeting 6-3 March 1, and WashU earned a 6-3 win April 4 at the Madison Invitational.
• Ho, the top-ranked singles player in the Central Region, is now 4-0 this season against Chicago's Ariana Iranpour, the No. 2-ranked Central Region singles player.
• Ho improved to 25-2 in singles this season by extending her win streak to nine matches.
• Junior Aly Coran and Griffith improved to 8-0 in doubles this season with their two wins Saturday.
• Junior Jamie Silverberg increased her career win total to 107, tying Kim Villena (1990-94) for 17th on WashU's career wins leaderboard.
• Coran brought her career win total to 96, while Newstadt reached 90 career victories.
Up Next: WashU is scheduled to finish its home schedule by hosting NCAA Division II University of Missouri-St. Louis at 4:30 p.m. Tuesday, April 14.