Claremont, Calif., March 8, 2015 – The No. 10-ranked Washington University in St. Louis earned a 9-0 sweep over Kenyon College Sunday morning, before falling to No. 5 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps Colleges 8-1 in the second match of the day on the first of a four-day roadtrip to California for the Bears.
After sweeping Kenyon, the Bears dropped all three doubles matches against Claremont-Mudd-Scripps. The Athenas won the first set of second through sixth singles, but sophomore Rebecca Ho rallied to force a tiebreak in the first set of her match at No. 1 singles against Caroline Ward. Ward jumped out to a 5-2 lead in the tiebreak, but Ho picked up back-to-back points to make it 5-4. After another point for Ward gave her two set-point opportunities, Ho won the final four points to take the tiebreak 8-6. Ho and senior Hanna Newstadt (No. 5 singles) both went to third-set super tiebreakers. Newstadt came up short in hers 10-8, while Ho picked up a 10-8 win in her super to score the Bears' lone team point of the match.
Kenyon Match-by-Match Results:
1. Rebecca Ho/Jamie Silverberg (WASHU) def. Diana Aboubakare/Samantha Murphy (KC) 8-3
2. Grace Deering/Hanna Newstadt (WASHU) def. Jenna Murray/Grace Winslow (KC) 8-4
3. Aly Coran/Kate Lee (WASHU) def. Alyssa Moreau/Abigail Younger (KC) 8-1
1. Rebecca Ho (WASHU) def. Diana Aboubakare (KC) 6-1, 6-2
2. Jamie Silverberg (WASHU) def. Jenna Murray (KC) 6-0, 6-1
3. Aly Coran (WASHU) def. Samantha Murphy (KC) 6-1, 6-1
4. Grace Deering (WASHU) def. Grace Winslow (KC) 5-7, 6-4, 1-0 (10-4)
5. Kaylan Griffith (WASHU) def. Abigail Younger (KC) 6-1, 6-2
6. Kate Lee (WASHU) def. Heather Fantry (KC) 6-1, 6-3
No. 5 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps Match-by-Match Results:
1. Katie Kuosman/Caroline Ward (CMS) def. Rebecca Ho/Jamie Silverberg (WASHU) 8-4
2. Sarah Kukino/Kyla Scott (CMS) def. Grace Deering/Hanna Newstadt (WASHU) 8-3
3. Lindsay Brown/Bria Smith (CMS) def. Aly Coran/Kate Lee (WASHU) 8-4
1. Rebecca Ho (WASHU) def. Caroline Ward (CMS) 7-6 (8-6), 3-6, 1-0 (10-8)
2. Katie Kuosman (CMS) def. Jamie Silverberg (WASHU) 6-1, 6-4
3. Sarah Kukino (CMS) def. Aly Coran (WASHUW) 6-1, 6-3
4. Lindsay Brown (CMS) def. Grace Deering (WASHU) 6-1, 6-3
5. Kyla Scott (CMS) def. Hanna Newstadt (WASHU) 6-1, 5-7, 1-0 (10-8)
6. Bria Smith (CMS) def. Kaylan Griffith (WASHU) 6-1, 6-2
• The 9-0 win against Kenyon was the second sweep of the season for WashU.
• The Bears are 2-3 against ranked opponents this season.
• It was Ho's second win over Ward, who is the No. 3-ranked singles player in the West Region, this season.
• Ho has won nine straight singles matches, and improved to 16-1 this season and 40-4 in her career in singles.
Up Next: WashU (4-3) continues its California roadtrip by taking on the University of Rochester at 9 a.m. (PT) Monday, March 9, in Claremont, Calif.