St. Louis, Mo., May 10, 2019 – The No. 7-ranked Washington University in St. Louis men's tennis team used a doubles sweep to propel the Bears past Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology 6-0 in the second round of the 2019 NCAA Division III Championship Friday at Tao Tennis Center in St. Louis.
WashU snapped a two-match losing streak and improved to 18-7, while Rose-Hulman had its 13-match win streak snapped and ended the season at 14-10.
1. Konrad Kozlowski/Bernardo Neves (WASHUM) def. Andre Adam/Joshua Giambattista (RHIT-M) 8-1
2. Ethan Hillis/Benjamin van der Sman (WASHUM) def. Ian Landwehr/Austin Perry (RHIT-M) 8-5
3. Radha Vishnubhotla/Daniel Li (WASHUM) def. Ben Strate/Joseph Conrad (RHIT-M) 8-1
1. #6 Ethan Hillis (WASHUM) vs. Ian Landwehr (RHIT-M) 6-2, 3-5, unfinished
2. #32 Bernardo Neves (WASHUM) def. Andre Adam (RHIT-M) 6-2, 6-0
3. Daniel Li (WASHUM) vs. Austin Perry (RHIT-M) 6-1, 4-1, unfinished
4. Benjamin van der Sman (WASHUM) vs. Joseph Conrad (RHIT-M) 6-4, 4-1, unfinished
5. Konrad Kozlowski (WASHUM) def. Joshua Giambattista (RHIT-M) 6-1, 6-2
6. Koki Takabatake (WASHUM) def. Grant Stamper (RHIT-M) 6-2, 6-1
• WashU has won 13-straight NCAA Second Round Matches
• The Bears have swept doubles play 11 times this season
• Rose-Hulman had not lost since March 23 – a 5-4 defeat Augustana
• Neves moved into ninth all-time in wins (135)
• Kozlowski is now 19th in school history with 111 victories
• The doubles win for Kozlowski was the 80thof his career
• Hillis picked up his 40th win of the season (40-12)
• Vishnubhotla upped his career win total to 90 in his four-year career
• Roger Follmer has guided WashU to 18 or more wins in 13 of the last 14 years
WashU takes on the winner of No. 27 Kalamazoo College and the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater Saturday at Noon in the regional championship match.