Game 1: vs. No. 22 Texas-Dallas, Saturday, Feb. 17 4:30 P.M.
Game 2: vs. No. 22 Texas-Dallas, Sunday, Feb. 18 11 A.M.
Game 3: at Hendrix (0-3) Sunday, Feb. 17 2 P.M.
Live Video: https://portal.stretchinternet.com/hendrix/
Live Stats: https://portal.stretchinternet.com/hendrix/
To download full game notes, click HERE (PDF).
• OPENING WEEKEND WashU begins the 2018 season on Saturday, Feb. 17 against No. 22 Texas-Dallas (1-4) at 4:30 p.m. in Conway, Ark. The Bears are also scheduled Sunday against Texas-Dallas at 11 a.m. with a game to follow at 2 p.m. at Hendrix. The Bears received 14 votes in D3baseball.com's Preseason Top-25 national poll.
• COACHING HONORS WashU's head coach Pat Bloom is heading into his third season in charge of the Bears. Last season he earned the Central Region Coach of the Year award while he and his assistants Adam Rosen and Tyler Schmitt were recognized as the UAA Coaching Staff of the Year after the Bears won their second straight UAA Championship.
• UAA CHAMPIONS The Bears were crowned the 2017 UAA Champions after posting an .800 winning percentage with an 8-2 record within UAA play. WashU swept Emory last season in a four-game series at home, split a series with Case on the road and beat Brandeis in a pair of games to win the conference.
• 2018 CAPTAINS The 2018 WashU captains include senior outfielder Auggie Mense, junior pitcher John Howard and junior infielder Evan Nagel. Mense started 34 games for the Bears last season, recording a career-best .288 batting average while tying for the team lead with 32 runs scored. Howard made eight starts last year while contributing a 4-3 record and a 2.73 earned run average which included two complete game shutouts. Nagel has seen action in 47 games in his career totaling 13 hits including his first career home run against Chicago on May 13, 2017.
• LOADED SCHEDULE EARLY ON WashU's schedule features six games in its first month of action against teams listed in D3baseball.com's Top-25 Preseason poll, not including Salve Regina and St. Scholastica who received votes but didn't crack the top-25.
• TEAM IMPACT DRAFT DAY On Nov. 12, 2017 the WashU baseball Bears formally welcomed Connor Grant to its program in conjunction with Team Impact during a Draft Day press conference. Grant has a rare genetic disease known as cystic fibrosis and will join the Bears during the 2018 season.
• FRESHMAN INJECTION WashU had 10 senior members graduate from its 2017 roster and added 13 freshmen to the program in 2018: Troy Bauer, Mitchell Black, Ty Dalinghaus, Jack DeSalvo, Dominick DiCosimo, Jared Fong, Collin Kahal, Johnny LaMantia, Ryan Loutos, Sean Robinson, Henry Singer, Tim Tague and Rees Viersen.
• ST. LOUIS BASEBALL COMMUNITY CLINIC Senior captain Auggie Mense spearheaded the St. Louis Baseball Community Clinic held at WashU's Kelly Field in October of 2017 as several local high school athletes received baseball instruction from members of the WashU baseball team.
• UAA BASEBALL WashU baseball was not the only member of the UAA to receive votes in D3baseball.com's Preseason poll, Emory also garnered 18 votes.