Surrounding historic Francis Field is Bushyhead Track, an eight-lane 400-meter synthetic surface track named for James Butler Bushyhead.
Bushyhead Track, site of the 1904 Olympics and the 2004 Olympic Global Torch Relay, is the home of the Washington University men's and women's track and field teams.
Built in 1902, Bushyhead Track featured a third-of-a-mile track—a track that was used through the early 1980s.
While a student at Washington University, Bushyhead (1914-82) was a sprinter on the track team. He graduated in 1938 with a journalism degree and served in the FBI during World War II. After a 40-year career with Moog Industries in St. Louis, Bushyhead retired as President.
Hours of Operation
- The Bushyhead Track is open for recreational use during regular Athletic Complex hours of operation.
- All outdoor facilities are available from 7 a.m. until dusk or with the close of all activity areas, whichever is first each day.
- The facilities are not available when departmental programs are scheduled.